Diseases Caused by Bugs
For many years now, there has been a lot of insect-related diseases that have caused death for humans. And the number of sufferers is really alarming, since it had reached millions over time. With advanced technology, humans try to find ways on how to treat or eliminate insect-borne diseases. However, for those who suffer from poverty, the expensive medications and treatments are not always within reach.
Bugs and other insects can harm humans directly and indirectly. Meat and meat products can bring infection to us once we ingest the ones that are infested by the disease-carrying insects. Insects are capable of transmitting diseases that are brought about by viruses, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms. Biting insects can also harm us with any serious illnesses at different times of the day.
For the detailed list of diseases caused by bugs and insects, please refer to the list below.
DISEASES CAUSED BY BUGS AND OTHER INSECTS
Cockroaches: These insects are omnivorous, therefore they can feed on any type of food possible, including the germiest ones like feces, foods in the garbage, soiled dressings, drains, and many more.
Among the illnesses that cockroaches can spread from dreaded pathogens include:
- Skin Infections - Staphylococcus
- Food Poisoning - Salmonella
- Intestinal Infections - E. Coli
- Dysentery – Shingella
- Fecal Contamination - Streptococcus
- Urinary Tract Infection - Pseudomonas
- Leprosy – Mycobacterium leprae
Flies: They also spread diseases the way cockroaches do. They fly from one dirty place to another, causing humans to suffer from the following:
- Food Poisoning – Salmonella
- Intestinal Infections – E. Coli
- Skin Infections – Staphylococcus
Fleas: There are numerous species of fleas known at this age, most of which are warm blooded, blood-sucking parasites. These insects are dark brown in color and have bodies that are flattened and covered with pointy bristle combs. Having this kind of body structure allows them to travel quickly from one host to another and to cling tightly and avoid falling even if they are being scratched.
Fleas can cause problems due to the following reasons:
- There are two common diseases that fleas can spread – the bubonic plague and murine typhus. These can be transmitted from animals to man after flea bites. Fleas can also bring tapeworms with them.
- Flea bites can also cause skin irritation and sometimes, swelling. And when these bites are scratched, it can also cause secondary infections.
- Fleas are also enemies of dog and cat owners as they reside and cause infections in their furs.
Mosquitoes: Some of you may not know it, but only female mosquitoes bite. They are attracted with various things like infrared light, heat, body odor, perspiration, lactic acid, and carbon monoxide. The female mosquito bites you through its proboscis, leaving you with saliva in the wound which is more likely to swell.
Among the diseases caused by mosquito bites are:
- Malaria – This disease is spread by an Anopheles mosquito. It leaves a parasite that grows into the bloodstream and develops from 8 days to several months after the infection.
- Encephalitis – This is caused by viruses that are spread by mosquitoes such as Aedes or Culiseta mosquitoes. Several types of encephalitis include Western equine, Eastern equine, St. Loius, La Crosse, and West Nile.
- Yellow Fever – Transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, this disease is prevalent in Africa as well as in some parts of South America. This disease is known to be fatal and is still incurable up to this age.
- Dengue Fever – This is carried by the Asian Tiger mosquito, which is commonly found is East Asia and other tropical countries. The dengue virus produces a rage of illnesses, which inlude viral flu and hemorrhagic fever.
You would not want to harm your family, thus it is necessary to avoid these diseases as much as possible. Luckily, we can make a bug repellent by using ingredients that can easily be found at home and convenience stores. Online, you can find many instructions and tutorials which will help you get rid of bugs and insects easily and effectively.